Lyrical dance is a fusion of ballet, modern, and jazz dance techniques. Lyrical dance inspires dancers to use movement to interpret music and express emotion rather than have a more presentational quality. A song's lyrics are the driving force and key inspiration for the movement.
Lyrical is a highly technical dance form in which the knowledge of other dance styles benefits a dancer. Therefore dancers who take lyrical must also be enrolled in a ballet and/or jazz technique class.
A Step Above Dance & Music Academy offers many levels which are based on age, technique ability, and the director's recommendation. All of our lyrical classes are invited to perform in our annual Spring Performance. Please contact our office to see which level will be best for you.
- 45-minute class for students 9-12 years old.
- Dancers must also be taking Elementary Ballet, Elementary Jazz, Intermediate Ballet 1, and/or Intermediate Jazz 1 in order to participate.
- This class is designed to introduce younger dancers to the lyrical style. Emotion and performance are emphasized.
- 45 to 60-minute class for students 13-18 years old.
- Dancers must also be taking a Teen level ballet and/or jazz class in order to participate.
- This class is designed to work on the lyrical style incorporating appropriate levels of technique, emotion, and performance.
- 45-60-minute class for students 11+ years old and placed in Intermediate 2+ levels.
- Dancers must also be taking an Intermediate ballet and/or jazz class in order to participate.
- This class will work on the lyrical style incorporating technique, emotion, and performance. Often this level is offered at multiple levels depending on placement.
- 60-minute class for students placed in Advanced ballet and/or jazz levels only.
- Dancers will be working on advanced lyrical technique, emotion, and performance as well as work with multiple different styles.